Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Should I be writing this down?

I've been asking myself that a lot lately. Like maybe I should blog it the way I used to blog everything and see if it makes me feel better. And also to make me remember. See, my mom is having a hard time coping with my moving so far away. I was talking to Jeremy about it the other day. It went like this:

9:59:08 AM Stephanie: I'm excited about being fully emancipated!
9:59:16 AM Stephanie: My mom isn't.
9:59:32 AM Jeremy: Oh I'm sure you are. It will be incredible, let me tell you. And parents are never excited about it. Let them suffer, it's their lot.
9:59:48 AM Stephanie: Yeah. I'll get mine in the future, right?
10:00:03 AM Jeremy: You'll get yours in the future. You can't stick around forever.

Then this got me thinking about how I would react as a mother and I recognize that in uprooting the way I am, I revoke my own right to be upset if my future children decide to do the same thing. That card will not exist in my deck of influential cards. I have the "I was a virgin until I was 20" card and the "I didn't drink or do drugs in high school" card, but no "I stayed close to my family" card.

I should stop and explain here that I've always justified my actions based on my parent's actions. My mom started smoking cigarettes when she was 14, lost her virginity when she was 16 to my father (Awww, SO cute, right?), she smoked pot, you know, et cetera. But my mom did not ship away from her family. Nor did she ever imagine I would. Surprise, mom! Your daughter is a strange thing with this insane need to be in constant flux and stimulation. Time to let her go! Sorry we didn't tell you this before you started letting her travel all over the place, getting cultured and what not... Good luck!

So I have been making an effort to see things from my mother's perspective and I concluded that if I find myself in her shoes, I may want something to rely on to help me through the process. It would be good to have a reminder of what it was like for me at that time.

Thus "En Route". Enjoy.

1 comments:

HM said...
May 8, 2010 at 2:34 AM  

I'm super excited you started a blog! Looking forward to reading along on your journey and adventures!

Post a Comment